I. Directions: Read each of the fllowing statements carefully. Decide which one of the
four choices best completes the statement and blacken the corresponding letter A, B,
C or D on the ANSWER SHEET. (2%X10= 20%)
The famous quotation“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" well ilustrates
nature of language.
2. Acoustic phoneticians try to describe the
properties of the stream of sounds
which a speaker issues.
3. The smallest meaningful unit of language is called
4. Words and phrases are organized according to the.
catgories they belong to.
5. Of the following four pairs of words,
A. frniture and table
B. sea and see .
C. male and female
D. escape and flee
6. Speech act theory was originated with the British philosopher
in the late 50's
of the 20th century.
A. John Austin
B. John Searle
C. John Firth
D. Paul Grice
7. The word“smog" entered the English via a word formation rule called___.
8. From a linguistic point of view, Black English is NOT a(n)
dialect of American
9. Of the following influential figures,___ believed that language and thought were
10. It was hypothesized that L2 errors were predominantly the result of negative transfer, or
mother tongue interference. This hypothesis is based on.
A. Contrastive Analysis
B. Error Analysis